Waiver of the pacifier is one of the most pressing problems of moms with children in love with this quiet object. The peace that the accessory causes for a few months of life turns, finally, into fierce battles with the stubborn little one to keep it forever. Many parents accept its use until the one year anniversary, and doctors recommend discontinuing this habit for up to 2 and a half years. If your situation has exceeded the permissible limit, it is time to apply the usual methods of sucking the baby before it produces negative effects on the child.
Baby comfort is a high priority for parents immediately after birth, so the pacifier can be a real help. While some children are quiet after the swing and do not feel the need to suck except during feeding, other babies would not give up this reflex gesture of peace even during sleep.
Sucking waiver strategies
In order to prevent eventual limit situations, some strategies for giving up the pacifier may be useful, if you consider them for preventive purposes. Try to carefully consider whether the time is right for change and take into account the personality of your child. Most of the times, the slow and safe path is the most efficient.
Here are some ideas in this regard:
- offer him rewards for giving up his pacifier (a special toy, a special ride, etc.);
- make a small hole in the nipple, but watch it for as long as it is used (the child will notice that it is "broken" and may easily lose interest);
- invent a fairy of "pacifiers" who visit the big children and give them a wonderful gift in exchange for the pacifier;
- restricts the use of the pacifier: it invents rules that allow the child to use it only in certain circumstances (the reduced frequency will help him to disobey);
- sprinkle the teat with lemon juice or any other seasoning you know your little one does not like (the unpleasant taste will be associated in a few seconds with the pacifier).
Children's imagination is in full swing, which means you can use their thirst for stories and the fantastic world in the process of giving up the pacifier. Some strategies of this kind can be:
- Tell him that the mission of the pacifier on earth ended with the day "X", so it's time to send it back together in space (or in the sky, on a cloud, as you prefer). Buy 2 or 3 helium balloons and tie the pacifier to them, then go with the nazdravan on the balcony or in the yard and "throw it" in the air. The break up will be like a fairytale, without any nervous breakdowns or crying.
- Ask him to do a good deed together and give the suck of a baby in need. Children are receptive to acts of altruism.
- He organizes the "Day of the Big Child", when he has to officially teach the pacifier and serve cake or ice cream, depending on the age.
Tips from experienced moms
Waiving the pacifier was a possible mission for many moms who share their experience on the forum. Be inspired by their advice and you will see how easy it is to forget about this annoying problem:
"My boy gave up the pacifier for 2 years, but it happened by chance. I had 2 pacifiers, one threw it in the groove. ... I only had one that was taking the steps, but I forgot to take it in one. day. When he asked her once or twice a day, I told him that he ate the Foca (the neighbor's puppy) and understood the boy. " - Wow
"I fooled him that he stole (the socks and the bottle) the neighbor's sweater. He mourned them for 2-3 days, a period did not drink milk, then asked for milk alone." - Roxy 29
"My boy is 2 years and 2 months old and he still has a pacifier. Personally, I say don't force the baby, give him the most precious relief. When he feels ready, he will leave her alone." - Iuliagabriela
"Everything is done gradually and patiently. And if you sit on the pot at 2 years and give up the pacifier at 2 years, not to make a drama out of it, it's no problem." - Ioanabalescu
The role of the pacifier and its benefits
The utility of the pacifier is hotly debated by specialists and nowadays, especially by dentists who believe that the accessory deforms the palatine vault and the dentition. On the other hand, there are specialists who do not see any danger in using the pacifier until the age of 2 years. Moreover, the role of the pacifier and its benefits are scientifically argued by the following aspects:
- Specialized medical studies have found that babies who sleep with suckers have a low risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SMSS).
- Although it is not a substitute for breastfeeding or feeding with the bottle, the pacifier can calm a restless baby after the other methods of soothing (songs, swings, gas removal, etc.) have been tried.
- It keeps the baby's sleep, because the reflex act by which the baby suckles the pacifier can fall asleep again after waking up at night, even before opening his eyes.
- The baby gives a feeling of security in the first months of life, because it satisfies the impulse of the sucking reflex, present since the baby develops in the womb.
- The pacifier can prevent children from adopting the habit of sucking their finger.
The risks of using the pacifier
The pediatric doctors draw the attention of the mothers to the fact that all the above benefits can turn into disadvantages, if the accessory becomes an indispensable object to the child over 2 and a half years. The risks associated with the prolonged use of the pacifier can be extended in several directions, from the development of speech defects to the increased predisposition to various conditions.
- The pacemaker may cause middle ear infections in infants and older children alike: a study identified an incidence of this disorder by 33% lower in children who have not used this accessory over the age of 1 year.
- Using the pacifier in parallel with breastfeeding can confuse the baby (this can confuse the nipple with the nipple), so that in the end feeding becomes a difficult process.
- The pacifier's head at older ages interferes with the development of the tongue (speech defects may occur) and the development of the tooth (the upper teeth grow outward, pushing the lips).
Therefore, the risks remain at the minimum threshold if the suction waiver is done at the normal age. Dependence on this accessory is installed especially if it has been used as a replacement for feeding or attention from the mother.